Monday, February 27, 2012

Rivals

Suppression and I were rivals
Or so I thought;
Since that summer which felt
More like spring
While striving to
Suppress a laugh that
Escaped my mouth,
The hem of my t-shirt
Stuffed into my mouth,
Amidst an otherwise serious
Family prayer; as the laugh
Inconsiderately spread to
My 6 brothers & sisters
Like a nuclear chain reaction
And burst into a bellylaugh.
But years later,
On those seldom visits to
My grandpa and his
Then-companion Mr. Parkinson
Tears rushing to
Roll down my cheeks,
Breaking the queue
And Code of Conduct;
I feared if suppression
Was getting the better of me.
And upon hearing the
News of his death
Unknowingly checking on my
Phone for Facebook updates
With trembling hands
Instead of calling my sister
I was almost sure that
I was losing out to suppression.
But as I kiss my grandpa’s
Cold, dead forehead
Chewing away the pain;
With an Orbit White,
The pain; of loss and a million
Indistinct things, coupled
With a sinking, heavy heart
Maintaining a behaviour
Appropriate for a funeral
And a chilled out exterior
Gazing at the white Carnations,
Chrysanthemums, Gerberas
Gypsophilas & Asters in his coffin
It looks like we’ve come to terms
Suppression and I.

3 comments:

  1. You should send this to a magazine or something man, totally awesome..
    I instantly visualized a cool music video to this..
    But as I kiss my grandpa’s
    Cold, dead forehead
    Chewing away the pain;
    With an Orbit White

    Thats such an nice mix...

    I was desperately searching for rhyming words though...

    ReplyDelete